but always going in circles, I knew I'd seen the tree before...

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Baby Story

Warning - First time Mothers probably shouldn't read this. I typed it up for a pregnancy horror story competition on another site, and since I took the time, I figured I might as well post it.

I'm one of those people who didn't know she was pregnant until she got to the hospital. I went to prom 3 days before she was born in a size 8 dress (and yes i have the pictures to prove it :) ). But that's just where the story begins...

First, I went into labor on the bus. I was in labor all day at school, because I hated dealing with our secretary at school and didn't want to have to get her to call someone for me. My boyfriend took me home and when my mom got there, he left for his Boy Scout meeting. (go ahead, laugh I know you want to ).

We get to the hospital and they ask if I might be pregnant, and since I hadn't had my period in a while (the only actual sign I had, no morning sickness, no swollen feet, etc.), I said I guess. So, they slap a fetal monitor on my and you guessed it, a heartbeat.

Well then they think I'm really premature, so they start looking for Vanderbilt's Angel Flight number, and of course, our hospital has misplaced it. Well, then they call the Vandy switchboard, and they can't find it (I mean come on, its their medflight copter and they don't have the number). Anyway, while they are looking for that number. The hospital calls in about 5 or 6 doctors all for me ( a couple of OBGYN's, pediatricians, etc). They realize that my daughter is in distress, so I'm getting IV's, cathiders (sp?) and all while being yelled at to flip back and forth from my back to my stomach.

Then came the words "Emergency C-section". Well they wheel me into the emergency room. Our hospital is small so there is no Anesthesiologist on call so one of the doctors is going to have to fill in. Right after they wheel me in, my doctor (whom I had never met before) screams, get me a God D*mn scapel I don't care if you have to pull it off the tray in the hall. She then looks at me and says sweetly "It will all be ok sweetheart" I immediately think great, I have a crazy person about to cut me open.

So they have the mask on me, but I'm not out, so I get 3 shots of Lidacain to the stomach and she starts cutting - Before I am Out. I quickly am put under and don't remember the pain (thank goodness for drugs).

When I wake up I have a 3 pound 12 ounce beautiful little girl. She is 3 weeks overdue and fully developed just underweight.

I found out I have a small wall in my uterus that kept her to one side and only allowed her to grow so much. I also had toxima and was extremely anemic. I had to have a blood transfusion and magnesium IV, and almost died twice once when I was in labor and once when my Blood pressure sky rocketed because of the toxima. I got to go home 6 days later.

My daughter is an extremely intelligent 8 year old and perfectly happy.

These are her eyes :).




Looking back I know I was in denial, if I hadn't wanted to not believe I was pregnant I probably would have seen it. But I was 17 and the mind is a very powerful thing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Heather in Beautiful BC said...

That was a wonderful story - thanks for sharing. Your daughter looks beautiful!

12:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can we see pictures of you in your prom dress? :) For all of us who weren't so lucky...

7:48 AM

 
Blogger MGal said...

Sure, I'll have to go digging to find it. I'll try to post it in a few days.

8:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW!!! What a crazy story. I just read through some of your blog and I wish I could reach through the screen and give you a big hug. I can't believe all you've been through in the past couple of months.

:)

8:02 PM

 
Blogger MGal said...

Thanks, it was rough there for a while..but the sun has broken through recently. Thanks for the virtual hug though!!!!

8:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an amazing story. Glad everything turned out okay and that you and your daughter are healthy.

Found you while surfing and was really captivated by this story.

Take Care,
Amber

9:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home